머드클락

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자귀요민 조회 1회 작성일 2021-06-17 11:23:10 댓글 0

본문

Mud, Blood and Poppycock | Gordon Corrigan

This talk by Gordon Corrigan was delivered 'live' to an online audience.

The popular view of the First World War remains that of 'Blackadder': incompetent generals sending brave soldiers to their deaths. Alan Clark quoted a German general's remark that the British soldiers were 'lions led by donkeys'. But he made it up.

Indeed, many established 'facts' about 1914-18 turn out to be myths woven in the 1960s by young historians on the make. Gordon Corrigan's brilliant, witty presentation will reveal how out of touch the public have become with the soldiers of 1914-18. They simply would not recognize the way their generation is depicted on TV or in Pat Barker's novels.

We hope to host more 'live' webinars. If you would like to take part in these, please do consider joining The Western Front Association.

If you enjoy this video, please subscribe to our youtube channel !

The Western Front Association is a UK registered charity. www.westernfrontassociation.com
Bryan Allen : Ummm-- 66k Canadians, 65k Australians, and 16.600 Kiwis died during WW 1. Proportionately New Zealand had the greatest loss. But greatest loss was Indian . 74,000 died in the service of the Empire. Just t0 put in some balance.
wuffothewonderdog : The change in the public view of the generals of the Great War in the mid-late twenties arose due to the surreptitious wish of the politicians who had saddled those generals with 1) impossible expectations, 2) inadequate resources of numbers of men, munitions and training, and 3) vague but direct instructions to co-operate with a French army subject to an unstable French government.
Authors and poets were lauded and encouraged by TPTB to enlarge upon the suffering of the PBI, and successfully deflected blame from Lloyd George, Churchill and others for their part in the war.
RailfanDownunder : Here in Australia, the prevailing misconception as detailed in this excellent lecture is also the popular view - the ANZACS miniseries also propagated this....our misconception is also flavoured with a distrust of anything BRITISH too - we can blame a former Prime Minister partly for this as well as misinformed historians
Philip Shehan : As an Australian I almost entirely agree with Corrigan's arguments. We commemorated ANZAC day, April 25 last weekend. It is a national holiday and easily the most important day of the year. It is a matter of great pride and it is true that in my opinion, it is overdone. Only in recent years have people tried to point out that Gallipoli achieved nothing, and cost 8000 Australian dead, but the Australian contribution on the western front was out of all proportion to the numbers involved.

In the hundred days advance after the battle of Amiens, Ludendorff's black day of the German army, spearheaded by the Australia and Canadian corps, (with a British corps on the north bank of the Somme not making as much progress due to the unsuitability of the ground) the Australians took about 25% of the prisoners and enemy equipment.

A great uncle was a Gallipoli veteran who was indeed busted down from corporal for overstaying leave in Paris, was later promoted to Lieutenant and was gassed toward the end of the war.

My great grandfather was awarded the MM, and was captured when his outpost was placed to far forward in front of the Hindenburg line in the dark, and was surrounded when the Germans attacked. I have visited the spot and seen the sunken road where the Germans got in behind them. They held out until their ammunition ran out before dawn, with two of the five men killed. Great grandfather escaped from the POW camp, got to the Baltic coast and after a few days realised he could get no further and walked back to the camp.

I was in school in the sixties and we did the war poets and read Graves' memoir, Goodbye to All That. In the case of Australia, there was antiwar feeling over Vietnam then, for which the government had introduced conscription which it had not done for overseas service in either world war. New Guinea and other Australian territories and some nearby islands were not deemed to be overseas and militia and conscripts fought there.

Regarding Generalship. Monash who AJP Taylor called the only creative general of the war and Montgomery nominated as the best allied commander had the good fortune to be appointed commander of the Australian divisions formed into the Australian corps in early 1918 when lessons had been learned and tanks and aircraft had reached the stage that he could win his brilliant little combined arms set piece battle at Hamel on July 4 1918, and repeat it on a larger scale on the German armies black day on August 8.the thing is that the armies planned for one big offensive in the summer of each year which would break the Hun.

And like nearly all Australian officers, Monash was an amateur, an engineer by profession, so they did did not have 'plummy' British accents.

1915 was a learning year of smaller battles while the mass British armies were formed.

The lesson thought learned was that artillery could smash the the Germans with a week long bombardment and the the inexperienced soldiers would just have to walk over and occupy the German positions. It did not turn out that way.

In 1917 Messines was a great success, as were the battles early on in Third Ypres. Then it started raining. Cambrai showed what tanks could do, but it also showed that you had to plan for the German counter attack.

It all came together in 1918.

There were no executions of Australian soldiers in WWII because the Australian government would not allow it and the governor general acted on their advice.

The executions of 'Breaker Morant' and Lt Hancock during the Boer war had set Australians against such punishments and the film Breaker Morant showed the heartless British officers making scapegoats of our Aussie heroes. But a clergyman and prisoners had been murdered in cold blood. There was no sympathy for Germans and Japanese who killed our boys.

There is a very good film made I think in the 90s about a young Japanese officer who is executed by the Australians for carrying out an order to behead Australian prisoners. The young Japanese is actually treated sympathetically by the film.
Yorkshire Dragoon : When I read Gordons book Mud Blood and Poppycock it was like a beacon of hope, I had been arguing against the Lions Led By Donkeys brigade for the previous 5 years but never had the statistics to hand ...now I can litterally throw the book at them and say READ A BLOODY BOOK AND STOP WATCHING THE GARBAGE ..... Thank you so much Gordon....

Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights

From Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010\r
The Bright Lights - EP is now available at iTunes: http://wbr.fm/GCJep \u0026 Spotify: http://bit.ly/pp6Ys6
Margarita Flores : ✌️
Matcrg : especially love the saxophone harmonies, really as funky as could be
Joshua Anderson : I think I’m like... the only person in my high school that enjoys this style of music, actually, any style of music. I love this
Joshua Anderson : I’m doing my best to write my own music too.
Kenny Hill : Some music is felt

Lois & Clark TNAOS: Top 10 Funniest Scenes

Here are my top ten favourite funny scenes of Lois \u0026 Clark TNAOS. Enjoy!
Dedicated to the late Lane Smith who was great with his role of Perry White.
NOTE: Sorry for the mispelling in clip 7.

No Copyright Infringement intended
All rights belong to Warner Bros Entertainment
kidkama : Teri Hatcher was super cute and uber voluptuous as Lois. Man, I had a crush on that woman.
Sevgi's Tarot : ❤
Mel B : Perry and his obsession with Elvis had me cackling.
sarah2930 : Hey,hey,hey, that’s enough lol an jimmy takes off towards the chief cause those Rats, but gotta say didn’t much like the 2nd jimmy an heard they only replaced the jimmy cause the were worried about the good looks between him an Dean Cain PLEASE that’s why I HATE Hollywood they’ll say anything to get ya FIRED !! Yeah I will say I thought the 1 Jimmy was cute but sorry didn’t place a candle to Dean Cain or Clark in my Opinion an this was the 1st Superman show that I got into that I really liked I always thought before this 1 came along they made the Clark character to nerdy/wimpy for my liking cause the man wore glasses to protect that he was Superman why make the man look so damn stupid on top of it !? I LOVED Perry may he Rest In Peace heard late into this TV series he had ALS I have nerve problems an sometimes wonder if I have it but I tend to not trust Drs lol.. Long story
Soccrattes : Godammit, she was freakin' gorgeous

#머드클락

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

전체 5,442건 1 페이지
게시물 검색
Copyright © www.anage.co.kr. All rights reserved.  Contact : help@oxmail.xyz